Today Hyatt Regency McCormick Place hosted the Midwest Regional Good Taste Series Culinary Competition. After serving two dished for the judges and 40 reception attendees, Melissa Rose, Executive Sous Chef here at Hyatt Regency McCormick Place took home 1st place. The Good Taste Series competition not only highlights our company’s amazing talents, but also reinforced Hyatt’s global food philosophy; Food. Thoughtfully Sourced, Carefully Served.
Local celebrity judges were tapped for the panel as they evaluated the chefs as they prepared two rounds, one Sustainable, Locally-Source Seafood Dish, and one Vegan Dish. The judges included:
- John Colletti, Managing Partner at Gibson’s Restaurant Group that includes Gibson’s Steakhouse and Hugo’s Frog Bar & Fish House
- Dr. Sandy Goldberg, regular contributor on NBC5 Chicago in her series “Food for Thought”
- Susan Santiago, a former Vice President of Food & Beverage for Hyatt Corporation, she is now a Senior Vice President of Operations.
- Doug Bradley, Vice President of Culinary for SAVOR.
- Chef Judson Todd Allen, a finalist on Food Network’s hit show, Next Food Network Star Season 8, he is also a personal chef to some of Chicago’s elite.
- Chef Paul Katz, the former Corporate Executive Chef of Harry Caray’s Restaurant Group, Chef Paul Katz joined Bottleneck Management in 2011. He has also served at the media spokesperson for national food brands including the American Butter Institute.
The panel reception lasted around 3 hours as attendees and judges listening to the chefs describe their beautiful dishes, watched them plate, and, of course, sampled their dishes! At the end, Chef Melissa Rose of the Hyatt Regency McCormick Place was awarded the title and will receive an all-expense paid trip to the Good Taste Series National Competition (last year’s held at Andaz Wailea in Maui Hawaii), and $500 American Express gift card. The winner of the National Competition in November will win a week-long trip to the Hyatt destination of their choice within the U.S., Canada, or Caribbean, travel expenses including airfare, and an extra week’s paid vacation.
for 1st Place, Chef Melissa prepared a Seared Diver Scallop “Vesuvio” English Peak Ragout, Piquillo Pepper Coulis, Oregano Studded Crispy Potatoe for her Sustainable Seafood Dish, and a Thyme-Scented Braised Vegetable Cassoulet with Spiced Red Lentil Sausage and Grilled Focaccia for her Vegan Dish. 2nd Place went to Beth Janocha from Hyatt Regency Cleveland and 3rd Place went to Michael Kropp from the Park Hyatt Chicago. Every contestant in the Midwest Competition was recognized with a copy of a popular new culinary book. Contestants included:
- Joshua Karther, Executive Sous Chef, Hyatt Lodge at McDonald’s Campus
- Adam Zelten, Lead Cook, Hyatt on Main Green Bay
- Isidro Arroyo, Sous Chef Hyatt Regency Chicago
- Beth Janocha, Lead Cook, Hyatt Regency Cleveland
- Robert Brake, Banquet Sous Chef, Hyatt Regency Columbus
- Ray Silvia, Sous Chef, Hyatt Regency Hill Country
- Melissa Rose, Executive Sous Chef, Hyatt Regency McCormick Place
- Daniel Bronke, Executive Sous Chef, Hyatt Regency Minneapolis
- Chester Cleveland, Culinary Supervisor, Hyatt Regency Pittsburgh
- Michael Kropp, Sous Chef, Park Hyatt Chicago
Good luck in Finals Chef Melissa! We know you will represent the Midwest Region well.