Summer is slipping away, and Labor Day Weekend is just one month away! If you don’t already have plans to be out of town, here are some events going on right here in downtown Chicago to help you make the most of the long, holiday weekend:
- Concerts at Soldier Field: Soldier Field will be a hot spot in Chicago this Labor Day weekend with Friday & Saturday shows by boy band sensation One Direction and a Sunday night show by country star Luke Bryan featuring Dierks Bentley.
- North Coast Music Festival: 2014 marks the 5-year anniversary of the first North Coast Music Festival which takes place every Labor Day weekend in Union Park, part of Chicago’s booming West Loop neighborhood. Headliners include Bassnectar, Kid Cudi, and Snoop Dogg.
- Chicago Jazz Festival: A Chicago tradition, the Chicago Jazz Festival is FREE and takes place at various venues throughout the downtown including Grant Park, Millennium Park, Chicago Cultural Center, and Roosevelt University. Headliners play in the Jay Pritzker Pavilion in Millennium Park and include Terence Blanchard with Ravi Coltrane & Lionel Loueke, PRISM, and Sun Ra Arkestra.
- Navy Pier Fireworks: The Navy Pier Fireworks are a staple for the Chicago skyline every Wednesday and Saturday night Memorial day through Labor Day. See the last show of the season Saturday, August 30th, at 10:15pm.
- Magnificent Mile Shopping Festival: Don’t miss the shopping event of the year on Chicago’s Mag Mile, Michigan Ave. Highlights include the “A Magnificent Taste” culinary event with VIP celebrity chefs, ShopFest fashion show and pop-up shopping along Michigan Ave, meet and greet with Laura Marano star of Disney Channel’s “Austin & Ally”, Coco Jones live in concert, Pamper Your Pooch activities, and sales and special offers from stores along the Magnificent Mile.
- Remix Chicago: Chicago’s Recycled Art Fair taking place in Logan Square between the 2200 & 2300 blocks of Milwaukee Ave. Recycled, re-purposed, and up-cycled, jewelry, household items, and art, and clothing take center stage while live bands also perform in the background. The music lineup includes Bring Your Ray Gun, Panda Riot, Jaime Rojo, and Vaya.
- Naperville Last Fling: 45 minutes west of Chicago, Naperville’s Last Flight isn’t your typical suburban summer festival. The Last Fling has two music stages, a carnival, a family fun area with pony rides, petting zoo, bounce houses, and crafts, a labor day parade, and other special events running all weekend long. Headliners for the Last Fling include ARRA, OAR, Vertical Horizon, Smashmouth, and 7th Heaven. The Last Fling is FREE, additional tickets required for main stage acts.
- Taste of Polonia Polish Festival: This annual Labor Day festival in Chicago’s northwest Jefferson Park has live music, food, and fun for all four days. Four stages and 38 live bands will play various genres while vendors serve Polish food and beer. There will also be kids stages, a kids zone, indoor casinos & bingo, plus many more vendors and exhibits. Admission is $7, Kids 12 & under are free.
- African Festival of the Arts: The 25th annual African Festival of the Arts returns to Washington Park Labor Day weekend with a marketplace, beer & wine garden, children and family area, and pavilions that focus on everything from film, health & wellness, quilting, drumming, spirituality, and more. This year’s festival is headlined by Grammy Award winning Cassandra Wilson Johnson. Tickets are $10 in advance or $20 at the gate.
How do you plan to bid adieu to summer in Chicago? Anything still need crossing off on your summer to-do list?
Attending any of these events or something else in downtown Chicago and looking for a hotel for Labor Day weekend? Hyatt Regency McCormick Place’s blog readers can enjoy a discounted rate of $179 for Friday and Saturday, and a rate of just $79 for Sunday night. Enjoy!
You’re more than welcome at the Hyatt Regency McCormick Place, 2233 South Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive, Chicago, Illinois 60616; +1 312 567 1234