Runners have been training for months, and we are now just days away from the Chicago Marathon! From what you’ll eat, to how to you’ll get to/from the starting line, there’s a lot of planning needed for Marathon Weekend in Chicago. Here’s everything you need to know for staying at Hyatt Regency McCormick Place for the 2015 Bank of America Chicago Marathon:
EXPO & PACKET PICK UP
Here at Hyatt Regency McCormick Place, we’re attached to McCormick Place Convention Center, where the Chicago Marathon Abbott Health & Fitness Expo takes place, so the hotel couldn’t be more convenient for picking up your race packet. You don’t even have to walk outside!
RACE DAY SHUTTLE
For transportation to Grant Park on race day, the hotel will have a free shuttle available to runners and spectators from 5:00am until 4:00pm. We understand that the last thing runners want to think about after running 26.2 miles is “how am I getting back to the hotel?” The shuttle will pick up on the front drive of the hotel on a first come, first serve basis and drop off at the intersection of 13th & Indiana. This is as close to Grant Park as race security will allow our shuttles to get due to road closures and restrictions. Please note that runners and spectators will need to walk an additional 0.7 miles to the closest Security Check Point at the intersection of Michigan Ave. and Harrison St. The shuttles will also pick up at 13th & Indiana for return transportation to the hotel.
All the increased security measures from last year’s race are still in place for this year. If you’ve run the race before, but missed last year, you’ll want to make note of the changes. Here’s the run down of the increased security measures:
- NO ONE is allowed to pick up your packet at the Expo besides you. Runners must show their photo ID to pick up the packet and race number.
- Entrance to Grant Park will be restricted to 5 screening check points fully equipped with metal detectors.
- All runners will be issued a clear plastic gear check bag. No bags besides these approved clear plastic bags will be allowed in with runners or accepted at gear check.
- Only runners will be allowed into Grant Park prior to 9am. No friends, family, or spectators of any kind.
- Runners MUST have their bib numbers attached to be admitted to the park.
- Spectators are welcome to enter Grant Park beginning at 9am. Other bags besides the clear plastic gear check bags will be allowed into the park at this time, however they will be searched and put through a metal detector.
Get the full run down of the spectator procedures here. For a full map of the Chicago Marathon course and street closures, click here.
RACE DAY BREAKFAST
Our Daily Grind Fresh Market will be open 24 hours to accommodate marathon staff and runners who will be up and about early for coffee, bananas, and energy bars/gels.
On Saturday night, Hyatt Regency McCormick Place will offer a All-You-Can-Eat Pasta Buffet in Shor Restaurant to help runners carbo load. The buffet is $30/person, $5 cheaper than other Chicago Marathon Pasta Buffets, and will feature:
- Garlic & Rosemary Crusted Round of Beef Carving Station with Horseradish Cream & Mustards
- Baked Chicken
- Lemon-Dill Salmon
- Pasta Bar with Linguine, Whole Wheat Penne, Cheese Tortellini, Marinara & Alfredo Sauces, & Meatballs
- Loaded Baked Potato Bar
- Autumn Root Vegetables
- Full Salad Bar
- Fresh Rolls
- Seasonal Desserts
Reservations are not required but can be made by dialing 312.528.4140.
LATE CHECK OUTS
Hyatt Regency McCormick Place is happy to share that our hotel occupancy may allow for us to extend late check outs to runners on race day. If you are departing on Sunday, October 11th, 2015, and would like to arrange for a late check out, please mention your request to the front desk at check in. Late check outs are subject to hotel availability and will be extended on a first come, first serve basis. Should we not be able to extend a late check out, complimentary luggage storage will be available at our bell stand, and our StayFit Health Club will be available for showering after the race.
While many other downtown hotels are already sold out marathon weekend, we still have a few rooms available in the official Chicago Marathon block at the discounted race rate of $250/night.
Marathon weekend is always an exciting time for the City of Chicago and the Hyatt Regency McCormick Place. We look forward to welcoming you!
You’re more than welcome at the Hyatt Regency McCormick Place, 2233 South Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive, Chicago, Illinois 60616; +1 312 567 1234